Web uncane.blogspot.com
babibubebo.com

Monday, August 28, 2006

I HATE FIBA


***warning, beginning rant***

Now I know hate is a strong word and I have been told that hate and love are actually the same thing (think about that for a second) but I really HATE (not love) FIBA. As previously mentioned, I recently took a vacation to the northern part of Japan and the main reason why was to watch/photograph my favorite player D. Wade and team USA. However, as I was taking photos of Yao Ming (China was also playing) during warm ups, I was promptly told I was not allowed to take photos. Then I proceeded to watch as other security guards would tell the same thing to everyone they could find, including little children. Apparently FIBA has a rule that you cannot take photos.

Why? I have no idea and apparently either did the staff there know. Here is how a conversation I had with a FIBA employee that isn't too low on the food chain:

Me: Excuse, why can I not take photos?
FIBA: You can take photos outside of the gym.

Me: Right, well I would like to take some photos inside of the gym. Can I even take a photo of myself inside the gym?

FIBA: I'm sorry, you can only take photos outside.
Me: I see, well, why is that?

FIBA: Because that is the rule of FIBA.
Me: Yeah, but I mean, why is that a rule?
FIBA: I don't know.

I honestly cannot think of one good reason why you would have such a rule. I mean, can anyone really give me a good reason for this? Let's be honest, FIBA does not have the recognition of the World Cup or even the NBA throughout the world. Any photo that is taken would be FREE PUBLICITY for them which they could use if they want to get to that next level. I don't know if FIFA and the World Cup have a similar rule, but come on, when a security guard is tell a child that they cannot take photos of their favorite player that does nothing but put a negative light on FIBA. I know I left with a bad taste in my mouth mainly bc I am a photographer, but I am sure many other people were disappointed with such a stupid rule.

***rant over***

That being said, I was still able to sneak in a few photographs but I was worried that the first time I would be thrown out of a basketball game would be for taking photographs. It was really hard though bc I could not follow the action and pretty much had to really get lucky with focusing and anticipating.


Anyway, I enjoyed watching Team USA play and while they are no dream team it was really nice seeing D. Wade, Lebron James, Carmello Anthony and the rest of the guys play. BTW, I had 2nd row seats one game and 8th row seats in the other, not too shabby at all.


To see more photos, go here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home