Web uncane.blogspot.com
babibubebo.com

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Summer Festivals

July 17th was suppose to Shiogama's biggest festival of the year. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know because it was raining so I spent just a short time out and about. There were fireworks the night before but I didn't go, because it was raining and the same type of parade as before but this time there was some stuff going on at the sea port as well. Some of my students were doing a hip hop dance performance and the advisor asked if I could take some photos, so I went to that and afterwards went home. The dance was pretty good but I still think in general hip-hop and break dancing is a lot better back in the states.


The next couple days after the were the sports festivals, which pretty much just a sports competition between classes, for my schools. Each lasted two days and because of the way my schedule worked out, I saw the first day at the boys school and the last day at the girls school.


I have to admit, not only was I surprised at the enthusiasm and effort that went into the sports at the girls school, but I was equally surprised with the lack their of at the boys school...at least compared to the girls school. To be fair, Japanese high school girls have a ridiculous amount of energy and are extremely emotional in every aspect. You can't really understand this unless you have been here, but I guess it is a little unfair to the guys to say they weren't really into as much as the girls. Still though, it was a sports festival so I just thought the boys would care a little more than the girls did. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I even got to play (more like was told to play) volleyball at the girls school.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home